12/16/07

Mariners' Looking To Further Weaken A's

Buster Olney has reported, according to MLB Trade Rumors, that the Mariners' are currently in a bidding war for the Oakland A's right handed starter Joe Blanton.

Olney believes that Adam Jones would have to be thrown into the mix in order for the A's to part ways with Blanton. Personally, I have a problem throwing Jones' potential around for a guy with a career 4.10 ERA and a K/9 that is under 6, at 5.24. But, once again, I'm not Bavasi.

The only reason I'm for going for him is our obvious need for pitching, and he'll cost significantly less than Bedard or Santana.

Other teams that may be looking at him include the Cincinnati Reds and the New York Mets.

This is fairly recent so I expect to hear more as time goes on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for being the one and only person that agrees with me on this. He's no Bedard, but you keep 3/4ths of your top youth instead of trading it.

Also, dealing for Blanton would also make it easier to sign someone from the scrap heap/

Brian said...

I like this idea is it means not trading 4 top prospects like we would be doing for Bedard or Santana...If we trade for Haren and go with one of our young guys as the 5 starter next year we might be good enough to compete next year and then significantly upgrade our rotation next offseason when the free agent pool is significantly better...

Brian said...

err...I mean Blanton not Haren...Haren already got traded to the D-Backs...

Anonymous said...

I don't think our rotation would be good enough to compete with Blanton plus Morrow or some other prospect. I think if Blanton is going to be your number two, Washburn has to be your five. Sign a rehab project like Colon, if he goes down then Morrow gets his chance. If he's healthy you have one hell of a rotation

Brian said...

Well we were good enough to compete last year with a significantly worse rotation than we would have with Blanton and Morrow/Baek/RRS/Dickey...

Quinn said...

I do not want Joe Blanton, resident hothead/fat kid on our baseball team. I wonder what Ichiro has to say about this.

...I personally liked Jason Ellison.

Dustin said...

Hahaha I totally forgot about the Blanton thing. We can basically rule all this out...