8/20/07

Season Outlook: Updated Here: IMPORTANT SERIES

Looking over the MLB schedule for today, I noticed something that I think all people should look at. For the next 3 days the Yankees and the Angels will square off in Angel Stadium. The Yankees have a losing record on the road, and the Angels play extremely well at home.

With the Yankees .5 behind us, and the Angels 2 games ahead of us, it really looks like either team winning is a plus. However, I want the Angels to sweep. The Yankees are running on an extremely lucky streak as of late. I think that if the Angels sweep, that just might be the stick that breaks the Yankees back. They are averaging a ridiculous 7 runs a game in the 2nd half, whereas the Major League average is between 4 and 5 runs. Statistically, they have been two or three runs better than every team. The Angels are averaging just over 5 runs a game.

Realistically, the Mariners are in a win-win, assuming that we beat the Twins; taking 2 of 3 or a sweep, but I would rather have one team lose the total series, which distances the Mariners no matter what.

I really don't care how you want the series to turn out, that's your thought for yourself. As for me, I'll be rooting for the Angels.

Go Mariners!

7 comments:

bushrawx said...

Couldnt agree more!

Brian said...

Angels take the 1st game of the series 7-6 in 10 innings...I am also routing for the Angels...A sweep by the Angels is just what we need to distance ourselves in the Wildcard from the Yankees..After that happens we can work on catching the Angels...Especially by winning the games we play against them...

Phil said...

The ultimate situation would be if the Yankees took 2 of 3 from the Angels, and we swept the Twins. That way, we'd be 1 1/2 up on the Yanks, and tied with the Angels for the AL West lead.

Brian said...

Good point Phil...That's what I'll be rooting for now...I knew there was probably something better than a sweep either way but my brain wasn't working last night...

Dustin said...

I still would prefer an Angels sweep of the Yankees. Hopefully, that would be the straw that would break the Yankees back. Not many teams can recover from a 5+- game deficit at the start of September.

PLUS - We haven't prooven that we can beat the Angels on the road, where we have a 4 game series against them at the end of September. I don't want our season decided by a 4 game road series at the end of the year. Angels play great at home, and the Mariners struggle on the road (.500 if memory serves right).

Brian said...

I've now come to the conclusion I don't care what happens in this series as long as we take care of business in Minny...Because if we don't sweep it doesn't really matter what happens in LA...:-)

Brian said...

How about Garret Anderson last night?? 10 RBI's is ridiculous...As much as I hate to see the Angels doing this well I love to see the Yankees lose (and in grand fashion at that)...