8/25/07

Braves DFA Wickman, Possibility?

The Braves designated 38-year old reliever Bob Wickman for assignment yesterday after recent struggles forced him out of the closer's role. Just two years ago in 2005, Wickman was among the best relievers in the game as he recorded 45 saves with a 2.47 era with the Indians. If I'm not mistaken, I believe he went to the All Star Game that year as well. Though he's blown 6 saves in 26 opportunities, his era is still very respectable at 3.92. With Bavasi trying to find a veteran arm / grandfather for the bullpen, don't be too surprised if he is targeted by the M's. If the Mariners do acquire Wickman, recent call-up and Wickman's brother from another mother Rick White would likely be sent back down or even released. White was called up when it was determined that John Parrish could not get the job done in the bullpen.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Seems like a good move to me...I mean since Bavasi seems hell bent on having a veteran arm in the pen to mentor the young guys why not have a guy who used to be a very good closer in this league?...He would fit well as our 8th inning setup man that we have been doing by committee all year...My only concern is that it could affect the young guys' egos considering that we keep on bringing in different old guys even though most of the young guys we already have have been just about lights out all year...I say we do it if the price is right...

James said...

I don't think the young guys' egos would be affected unless Wickman was annointed the go to guy in the 8th inning (a la Chris Reitsma) upon arrival.

What's more interesting is that Atlanta didn't just demote him from the closer roll. It seems to me that in Wickman's case (as very well it may have been with David Wells) you have a veteran who feels that they are better served by getting DFA'd than demoted to a lesser roll. Contenders are looking for cheap help and even if Wickman was brought in to set-up (like Gagne in Boston), the move appears more sensible.

I'd take a flyer on Wickman over White any day but I'm not so sure that the M's are of the same mind.

JJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JJ said...

I'd love it to happen, but Bavasi and Mclaren are too dumb to like Bob Wickman. He could easily do much better then Reitsma, Parrish, or White.

By the way, check out my blog- Sports with JJ