11/28/07

Why Clement, Jones and Morrow are Tradeable

People are putting a price on winning. "We are trading away too much and his contract is too heavy to afford." That is all I've heard.

I can't believe you people are willing to just give up on the best pitcher on the planet. Simple as that. We cannot win with our rotation. Jones is still a work in progress, and I still don't see him becoming a full-fledged superstar, Morrow is another HUGE work in progress and Clement is stuck in a spot where his playing time will be limited. I'll summarize my point once again.

Morrow - Morrow does not have what it takes to be a starter, yet. It will take time. He pitched 3, 4 innings max in a game this year, and he started to get hit hard later it seemed. He was totally inconsistent throughout the year. If we push him to start, he's going to get shelled early and often. All he is, is a pitcher who throws hard. Worst, he's right handed. A right handed guy who can only throw his fastball is worthless in the rotation. If we move him to the bullpen, he won't be as effective. He could, in theory be a dominant closer in the future. He only needs to throw his fastball, change-up and occasional breaking ball. He has the making of a DOMINANT closer. Problem? We have Putz. We don't need Morrow.

Clement - He is stuck. He won't get much playing time. Johjima is going to be the starting catcher. His CS% was the highest among regular, full time catchers and he is a gold glove caliber catcher. You could argue that he should have won it this year. Clement won't get time at DH since we have the ever-consistent Vidro at DH anchoring the line-up with a .300 average all year. He can't be moved to first since we are stuck with that lard 1st baseman Sexson. As of now, Sexson isn't being put out on the market, so for now, 1st base is his. So Clement will see sporatic playing time between catching Johjima in the days off, assuming Burke is still with the team. He won't get time at 1st because we still have Broussard who needs more playing time, and will get it when Sexson has his days off. DH won't be Clements because we have Ibanez and Vidro as the top two cantidates starting in the DH slot, most likely in a platoon.

Jones - I'm stuck here. I want to see him live out his potential and his hype, but he just isn't impressive. His career average, as of the last game of the season, is only a mere .230. That is nothing, at all. He has 3 home runes and only 12 RBIs in 73 games. 32 hits in a total of 73 games. He is just not impressive. He has also made 5 errors in his 73 games. That is about 12 or 13 errors a year, in a 162 game season. That is pathetic.

We don't need this. There is nothing that jumps out at me saying, "Hey, Bavasi, don't trade our future!" We could use Johan, who is still 28, a lot more than we can use our undeveloped and unfulfilled "future" and hype.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah i saw this already on the forum. the more i hear about it, the less i think the Mariners will have to give up. Like I said in the Mariner Nation forum I think that Clement should spend 2008 in AAA developing his defense. I think he is irrelevant in the trade, especially with his injury. The last report I read said the Mariners would make a package around Jones and Wlad, which I don't believe since we probably need at least one of them. Anyways, I do want Johan, just not for all three. I don't think it's too much to pay, because Johan is truely the best pitcher PERIOD. I just am still skeptical.

Anonymous said...

what about Jose Lopez? I wrote a little something about his possible involvement, but it's purely speculation. take a look and tell me what you think

Brian said...

Those three PLUS $25 MILLION A YEAR is just too much for Santana...First of all the Mariners aren't even really involved in the Santana talks from what I've heard so most of this arguement is moot. I just don't see us beating out the Mets and Yankees in this race...Lopez involved in that trade would be intriguing...

Dustin said...

Jon: I don't really think the Twins would ask for Jose Lopez. If he gets involved in trade talks, I can't say I would be totally surprised, but I don't see him being put in there. They already have Luis Castillo, a capable hitter (career .294) average and a past Gold Glove winner. Their infield is set and Lopez would have nowhere to go. So, if Lopez got involved, I wouldn't be surprised due to his absolute sucky play, but it looks doubtful that his name would pop up in the Santana-mania deal.

Anonymous said...

Well no, they don't have Luis Castillo. They HAD Luis Castillo. They currently have (as I mentioned in the blog) Alexi Casilla (lifetime .223 or something like that) and Nick Punto (.210 last season). Luis Castillo was moved to the Mets last year and just resigned with them, i believe. can't remember for sure.

Dustin said...

Hmm that's weird, becuase when I looked at their roster he was listed as active as a Twins player... Strange... Shows how much attention I pay to other teams during the season. I just don't see us giving up on Lopez, yet. I think once the younger 2nd baseman (the Asian one) gets his feet wet in AAA and the MLB, Lopez should start to worry.

Anonymous said...

Bavasi just said that one of the area's they needed to improve on was 2B, by bringing someone in or having Lopez improve. He should start to worry now.

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat hacking[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or little-understood avenues to build an income online.